Turkey Season in full swing!
South Carolina’s spring turkey season kicked off in March with hunting opening on private lands in Zones 3 and 4 on March 22 and in Zones 1 and 2 opening April 1st. Turkey hunting limit laws changed a couple of years ago so here’s a reminder of the current limits allowed according to the SC DNR eRegulations website.
Limit statewide private and WMA lands:
- Residents: 3 gobblers per season, no more than one per day, no more than one (1) from April 1-10 on private land and April 1-9 on WMAs in Game Zones 1 & 2. No more than one (1) from March 22-31 on private land in Game Zone 3 & 4.
- Nonresidents: 2 gobblers per season, no more than one per day, no more than one (1) from April 1-10 on private land and April 1-9 on WMAs in Game Zones 1 & 2. No more than one (1) from March 22-31 on private land in Game Zone 3 & 4.
Some WMAs may be more restrictive. To find out detailed info visit https://www.eregulations.com/southcarolina/hunting/spring-turkey-seasons-on-wm-as
Some general turkey hunting laws and regulations for hunting on private & WMA lands are listed below as reported on the SC DNR eRegulations website. For a complete list, click the link above.
- Sunday hunting allowed on private lands (SC 50-11-555). No Sunday hunting allowed on WMA land (Reg. 123-51).
- Statewide limit of 3 gobblers for residents and 2 for nonresidents, no more than 1 per day (SC Code 50-11-580). Bearded hens are not legal.
- All hunters, including hunters younger than 16 or those who are calling or guiding must possess a valid set of turkey tags except on designated youth days. Except on designated youth days, all harvested turkeys must be tagged and validated as prescribed on the tag form before being moved from the point of kill. No person may possess more than one set of turkey tags (SC 50-11-544).
Gentle reminder that turkey tags are no longer free. In addition to the required hunting license and big game permit, all turkey hunters, including youth, are required to have turkey tags in possession while hunting except on the designated youth days. The fee for a SC resident is $5 per set of three (3) tags and for a nonresident $100 per set of two (2) tags.
Crossroads Outdoors has all the turkey hunting supplies you need! Stop in to see us today at 244 N Main Street in Bishopville or give us a call at 803-483-3000. Check out our website at https://crossroadsoutdoors.net/. Happy Hunting!